Friday 6 June 2008

Day and night

When I get up in the morning, my first thought is about you. Engrossed in your thoughts I somehow persuade myself to go to work. After finishing the usual morning stuff and 40 min. later, I get out of my apartment hoping to see you today.

To reach my work place I need to catch a bus. Rushing for the bus, I hope to discover you on board. Maybe, sitting on a corner seat. I know you are sometimes found on buses. But I could never find you there. Being an optimist, I board the crowded bus. It takes 10 min. of waiting and equal min. of traveling to reach my intended stop.

Before I enter my lab and log on to my work station, I stop for a quick toast and tea in the new Broadway canteen. The aunty who makes toasts there now knows me pretty well. I can sense the acknowledgment in her friendly smile. But I still hope to see a glimpse of yours. It takes me around 15 min. to finish my breakfast. Sitting in one of the corner seat, I keep staring the entry door. You never come. You almost never come.

You are aware of my longing for you, but you don’t like the tea. I know that you know and you know that I know.

When I reach my lab, I anticipate seeing you there too. Your presence is impossible. Both of us are fully conscious of this fact. I try to distance my self from your idea during my working hours, hoping that the day has just begun and we will have ample opportunity to stumble upon each other.

Tick tick tick…150 min. later

We are nearing the lunch time, and still no visit from you.

I go out for lunch with my friends. They know how much I need you. They banter around me by taking your name every now and then. They tempt me. I get tempted. Although I show my fake anger with a dry smile and angry looking eyes, which actually strengthens their belief that I enjoy all this. They are right. They are always right.

We take almost 45 min. to stuff ourselves with the pseudo Indian food. Once we are done, we return to our respective labs. My yearning for you is the strongest after lunch period. Those lonely 2 to 3 hours are unbearable. But I somehow control myself and get engrossed in my work.

Evening tea too companies a bunch of friend. We tend to discuss issues pertaining to research, politics, sports, and everything that comes under the roof of this 13 billions years old universe. Even though the discussion is so entertaining and enriching, I still look at the canteen door, absorbed in your thoughts. Hoping to see you making an entry into my eyes. But I am unsuccessful again. You never come.

I go back to my lab, and try to work using my last reserve of positive energy of the day, which last for another one and a half hour. Back of my mind still has you.

Now the night has come, and we are ready for our last meal of the day. I haven’t seen you the whole day. This is my last hope. We choose a canteen based on the majority of vote and dominance of the force. But, my criterion is you. I want to go to the canteen where I can find you. I am defeated again.

The time after dinner till mid night is something I keep for my past undone work, chatting with friends, poetry and blogging. These are the 2 hours I miss you the least. You should not get offended because my least is more than the most of the most.

Now its almost mid night. I am ready to go back to my dwelling. On my way I am listening to recently synchronized songs on my ipod nano and still thinking about you. It takes me 30 min. to reach my block, take the lift, open the door, bath, and change to my bedtime outfit. Now I am almost on my bed and you still are to be seen no where near. I read a page or two of ‘Atlas Shrugged’ which I am trying to finish for the last 3 months. It’s a big book by the way.

Then suddenly you come, and be there for the rest of the night. It’s only you and me under the ceiling of my room which is conditioned for a temperature of 25 degree Celsius. We spend almost 7 hours together. You leave just at the moment I wake up, making me crave for you again…Again for the whole day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTH were you talking abt?!

Ashraf said...

Try harder !

Ankur Khare said...

Sleep....I know how much this man loves her..

Ashraf said...

Do I ?