Saturday 7 June 2008

A god in my own universe

It is 1:43 am and I am still awake
It’s completely dark
Except for the light coming from my laptop screen

Thinking of ideas to write poetry
I imagine my ceiling as the sky
And the light coming from laptop screen
As my square shaped moon

My room itself as the universe

I try hard to see other objects in my imagined space
I can see my nokia handphone lying
On the stool as my artificial satellite
Connecting me to otherwise isolated space

Along with it are my glasses
Acting as Mars
Giving me a perspective of the horizon
And the air conditioner as Venus
Providing me fresh breath of air

I can also see the piles of novels
I bought from India
They represent the surrounding planets
First among the lot is “five point someone” which is still unread
It is Pluto which has lost it status of being planet
On the top is thick “Atlas Shrugged” which I am currently reading
Is my Earth

The table clock is shining
Because of fluorescence numbers engraved
Showing me the status of time
It is my sun

I am also playing some old songs
For inspiration
Music acts as the background radiation
Coming from some distant galaxy
Giving me a hint of friendly neighbor

A big black colored table is holding all my paraphernalia
It is my black hole

And then there is a creator too
The one who is imagining all the creation
And putting it into words
It is me
A god in my own universe

3 comments:

Mona said...

This reminds me of the philosophy of Advaita... That each object of the universe is the other...that the duality which we see around us is an illusion...

I love the way you express the co relation between a the contents of a single room with the entire universe. Its like juxtapositon of the microcosm with the macrocosm!

I love the way you call the laptop screen 'moon'. It reminds me of one of my poems entitled 'lunar eclipse' ( you may find it in in my last year's June archives)and gives it an added meaning...

Ashraf said...

A poem has to impress at least one reader on this infinite universe to fulfill it purpose of creation.

This poem has achieved its aim.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Well said.