Wednesday 30 April 2008

Square root of 3

Yesterday I watched the sequel to the hit comedy Harold and Kumar. I would like to share this interesting poem from the movie on irrational number-root three (√3). The poem, actually, weaves a crucial scene during the end of the movie. Internet sources claim that the poem was written by director’s high school classmate Dave Feinberg, who also happens to be an MIT alumnus. Anyway, you enjoy the poem!

I’m sure that I will always be
A lonely number like root three
The three is all that’s good and right,
Why must my three keep out of sight
Beneath the vicious square root sign,
I wish instead I were a nine
For nine could thwart this evil trick,
With just some quick arithmetic
I know I’ll never see the sun,
As one point seven three two one (1.7321)
Such is my reality,
A sad irrationality
When hark! What is this I see,
Another square root of a three
As quietly co-waltzing by,
Together now we multiply
To form a number we prefer,
Rejoicing as an integer
We break free from our mortal bonds
With the wave of magic wands
Our square root signs become unglued
Your love for me has been renewed

3 comments:

Elitecoder said...

Quite intellectual, its true, we are stuck in a vicious cycle (or a square root), and need a partner to multiply and get out of this ironical truth.

I hope everyone understands the depth of it.

Keep up the good work. :)

Ashraf said...

Ha...I never went that deep myself...but a comment is always welcomed.

Anonymous said...

the movie rocks!