Saturday 19 April 2008

A global student

The first time I heard the word globalization was when I started reading newspapers… especially business section…on some friend’s recommendation during my high school days…I don’t remember the names of either of them, and YES I am old enough to remember my high school days...He or she…let there be a little confusion…had given me a worldly advice to be at least literate in commercial aspect of the global market this planet is fast becoming. From then onwards the term globalization has been bothering me in some form or other…Not that I am complaining.

Hang a bit guys...I didn’t start this piece to tell you about my high school crushes or misadventures…both literally and figuratively…Although that will make an equally boring write-up, but that’s not the point here. The motivation here is to share an interesting example about globalization in context of my life…or rather a research student’s life…Being an Indian studying in Singaporean University was not enough of unusual combination that I found a French supervisor…a very good one for that matter… with a Chinese wife…I know I am getting a bit personal …Now, what do you call me if not the great global student (not a student anymore )? …Great is for effect here, so don’t take it seriously…The question is also rhetorical so please don’t bother to answer it…You may ponder about it if you like and relate it with your own experiences as a researcher in a foreign (but friendly) land.

While this is true, the lab…the biggest lab in the department by the wayHURRAY… where I work has almost 18 researchers…there are many more who uses our wonderful facility but they don’t sit with us…Out of 18 researchers, 5 are Singaporean, 4 are Chinese, 3 are Indian, 2 are SPR, and 1 each from Thailand, Iran, Romania and Myanmar…a pretty good balance of nationalities covering regions as diverse as Asia Pacific, Indian Subcontinent, Middle East and even Europe and for the record we have got a good camaraderie among us…Jokes apart, but the examples clearly demonstrates an important point here. The point about the inter-dependency of research globally, and that the idea of a global student is no more a local one. Doesn’t it tell us something about these catchy phrases, like, unity in diversity; cultural vibrancy; world as a global village; globalization, et alof course in research context?

Note: Don’t confuse inter-dependency of research with multi-disciplinary research, about which I will talk later…Ever heard of MEMS? No? Nevermind!

No comments: