Tuesday 26 August 2008

Kalam at NTU




Former Indian president and missile man APJ Abdul Kalam was here at NTU-Singapore, to be conferred an honorary doctorate in Engineering. Majority of Indian students, research staff (including me) and faculty was here to welcome him, along with the Singapore president, and other dignitaries. This was his second visit to NTU. He first visited NTU in the year 2006 during his presidency tenure.

This was my first live visual of him...being in research i always wanted to see him live... I missed my first chance by whiskers during his IISc visit and also his earlier visit to NTU.

His speech was surprising boring, and not at all according to his old charismatic self. However, he will definitely be the most student friendly president ever. And we love him for that.

For trivia lovers: I got my NTU degree earlier than him, of course at the same auditorium...u can revisit my convocation post for verification.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you got the degree first..i think we should also give you bharat ratna...

Ashraf said...

There is a strong possibility for that too Vineet, because Dr. Kalam and I have a lot in common

1. Indians
2. Engineers
3. NTU degree holders
4. Bachelors ( I may want to lose this common ground in near future)

:-)

Mona said...

nice to hear that! :)

Ashraf said...

Mona, thanks :-)

Mona said...

Wish you a happy Ramazan :)

Ashraf said...

Thanks Mona. You too :-)

Mona said...

Hope you enjoyed your family reunion!

Ashraf said...

Sure I did. Thanks